Another senseless Linux-related injury...

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 18:23:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Peter King wrote:

> I went to my doctor, who diagnosed CTS and ordered up blood tests and
> nerve conduction tests to be sure, but then *immediately* began to
> talk about surgery. Everything I've read on the Net says that surgery

Remember ultimately you are in control of what surgery you get.  If
unhappy refuse surgery, or go see another doctor.

> It struck me that this group must have a fair amount of collective
> experience with this medical problem, and, just possibly, also have
> some collective wisdom about how to deal with it. I don't need medical
> information; I have all that. What I want to know is what people have
> tried and how successful (or not) it may have been -- anecdotal reports
> are just the ticket. I'll pay for the physiotherapy if that's the way to
> go; I want this problem *gone*.

A friend of mine bought a "twiddler" (http://www.handykey.com/) and used
it for some years.  He even did his own keymap.  Expensive as I recall but
it certainly takes the load off the wrists.

I've had a few minor issues in this regard and have considered a twiddler.

> What I've tried to date: wrist splinting, either all day or at night only,
> both apparently ineffective; strong doses of ibuprofen as anti-inflammatory;

And unfortunately this just masks the problem while it continues to get
worse :(

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.