vsftpd

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 16:03:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Alan Cohen wrote:

> The ftp client is TSX, an O/S that doesn't support secure-anything.

Wonderful :)  I just had a look at http://www.sandh.com/tsx32.htm.
It doesn't seem to have any features not available in a modern Unix but I
guess you have apps tying you to the platform.  I like examining the
features of different OSes and hadn't heard of this one before.

> Sitting right next to it is a linux box. The thinking behind
> "alan.command" was to create something of a relay, ie: something that
> would scp the just-received TSX <filspc> onto another far away box.

FTP already supports this functionality, although it does require
non-passive mode so firewalls can give you trouble.

Bascially you can start an ftp client on A, ftp to B and have it transfer
a file to C.  This is why FTP uses both tcp/20 & tcp/21 in non-passive
mode by the way.

If I were faced with this problem I'd consider using expect to get it
working.  It allows you to script an interactive session, so anything
that can be done on the command line can be achieved through expect.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.