Fedora dual boot

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 29 22:53:37 UTC 2005

Simon Tonekham wrote:
> Hmmmm......after all these suggests you gave to me, I'm still trying to find a
> way on how to Install Fedora safely. But thanks for giving me all those
> suggestions. As for the Extended partition of my master hard drive, I believe
> it's a very big and tedious process which involves backing up my data from my
> master hard drive and formatting it as a extended partition. What is the
> difference between Primary and Extended?
John McGregor's statement about the exteded partition made no sense to
me either. Generally, each hard drive can have four primary partitions,
but one of them can be "extended" into any number of extended
partitions. That way you can have 3 primary and an infinite number of
extended partions. However, I see no way how they can span multiple drives.

I think what John was trying to say, was that if you create the FAT32
partition on your Linux drive,
a) You _won't_ have to reformat your primary drive.
b) When you remove Linux, you can still access that drive from Windows.

As long as you tell Fedora/Linux not to touch your primary drive (except
to put the master boot record there), you can do anything you want to
your secondary drive. In the worst case you can reformat the second
drive from the Windows boot disk, recover your MBR on the first drive,
and forget about everything. So DON'T WORRY.

> How do I create a FAT32 partition on my
> second hard drive during the Linux installation process? is it necessary?

The FAT32 partition is not necessairy, but it will allow you to work on
the same files from both Windows and Linux. That way if, for example,
you started typing a letter on Windows, you could save it to the FAT32
partition, and then open it from Linux, edit it, save it, and then open
again in Windows. The point is it gives you freedom to work from both
operating systems.

As John McGregor suggested, you can click "Custom" in the Fedora
installer when it asks you about partitioning your hard drive. I've
never installed Fedora, but I imagine the process is fairely simple.
Just tell it to create a 15GB drive of type FAT32 at the end of your 2nd
hard drive (Linux will likely call it 'hdb', but check the size to be
sure).

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***