Shared Memory

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 28 14:42:21 UTC 2005

Hey there,
The shared memory is a term applied to mobos with integrated video.
The Intel "Extreme Graphics" chips on newer boards use shared memory,
using the system memory to power the video cards. So if you have, say
512 Mb of RAM, the card can take up to 32MB for its use. This is a
very common feature in low-end PC desktops (conversely, look at the
new Mac mini, which has a dedicated ATI card in there with its own 32
MB, quite separate from the system memory). This has clear
implications on the performance of the machine, so if you're looking
to buy one of these systems, be sure you're not going to need it for
anything graphics intensive.

Cheers,
Aaron.