Shared Memory

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 28 14:36:13 UTC 2005

I am in the market for a new computer and would like to sort out some of the
advertising hype.
What does "shared dual channel DDR2 SDRAM" imply?
-shared-:
Is this a HW or SW feature? Does it share memory with a graphic card or does
it share it between running processes?
-dual channel-:
Is this a feature of the memory or how the memory is used by the mobo to
achieve an effective 800MB  data channel using a 400MB rated memory?
-DDR2-:
What is to be gained by using DDR2 versus DDR ?
I see more and more SATA drives being part of packaged computers. What are the
pro's and con's for them? Are they more difficult to get installed with
Linux?
John