Red Hat SE and packages

Dan Gennidakis dgenn-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 27 16:54:45 UTC 2005

The preferred method for a registered/supported Red Hat ES system is to either use RPM at the command line as you do with apt or use Red Hat Update - up2date either in X or the command line using the --nox option. I have rarely encountered problems updating systems this way and yes I use both Red Hat and Debian based systems. It is just a matter of getting familiar with the features/options of rpm as you are familiar with apt-get. I don't think Red Hat will support using apt on ES systems with non-official Red Hat packages.

Teddy Mills <teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

Using RPMS packages consistently can be a problem.
When RPMS packages start tripping over each other.
If possible, use source.tars.