DVD burner farm

Adil Kodian akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 26 20:15:34 UTC 2005

Yup.

> This wont work on dual layer disks - but you dont have to worry,

Bullshit.  See below.

my mistake - Double Layer disks are quite popular in the movie industry
especially with the double sided disks with widescreen/normal options as i
can see on google - and the readers are fairly simple as you only need to
refocus the laser at a different layer. But the process for mass production
seems to be a bit more complex. CDs could simply be stamped once. DVDS you
need to stamp them, and deposit another layer of substrate and then stamp
again. I doubt that this is a trivial thing to do. Thats probably why
commercial cds cost a few cents and dvds cost a lot more.

my point of view was that burning a DL disk is a fair bit more
time-consuming. There may not be much of a cost difference between stamping
and burning CDs, but DVDs may change that equation and it might not be
economical to mass-burn dvds at all.