OT - KVM switches

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 25 15:26:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:30:40AM -0500, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here use KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches? I want to
> have 2 separate computers hooked to a single monitor, keyboard and
> mouse. I've seen a few different manufacturers with switches (Phoebe,
> D-Link, Zonet). Are there any I should stay away from?
>
> I want to have an XP box as well as a Linux box hooked up and running.
> I'm using a Samsung 19" flat CRT in case that matters (1280x960 at 85Hz).
> Also a Logitech keyboard and Microsoft optical mouse (USB with PS/2
> adaptor with it for the switch).

Use USB for the mouse.  PS/2 is a nightmare for mice since it isn't
allowed to be disconnected and connected while on, which is what most of
the cheap KVMs try to do.  Some higher end ones try to emulate a ps2
mouse while disconnected from a machine, but often emulate the wrong
protocol (a pain if you have a wheel mouse) or screw it up other ways.
Since USB is hotplugable, it doesn't care if it is disconnected and
connected physically so it's perfect for a KVM.

For the monitor, a cheap KVM is likely to cause ghosting in the signal
(which lowering resolution and/or refresh helps to reduce.  Lowering
refresh to 60hz on an LCD should be completely a non issue).

Lennart Sorensen