Console and serial

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 25 15:14:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:07:44PM -0500, Martin Duclos wrote:
> I am not very familiar with hot to setup a console with linux. I want to
> connnect one pc to a server through a serial cable with com1 so that I can
> see all console messages. I'm not even sure where to begin... Any help is
> greatly appreceated.

Seomthing like "console=ttyS0,38400" or whatever settings you like in
your lilo append line or on the kernel line in grub should do it if the
kernel has support for serial console enabled.  inittab should have an
example entry for a matching serial getty if you want to also allow
logins from the serial port.

Lennart Sorensen