Emergency! Accidental format of ext3

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 19:50:11 UTC 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>>  I did this using Knoppix so the drive has not been touched yet. Is
>> there a way to recover the file system?
>

> As Taavi points out a reconstruction may be possible.
>
> The tool dumpe2fs is provided for your convenience.  You are better off
> dding a copy of the filesystem and attempting recovery from the dd
> image, only going back to the disk to get new copies to try stuff on.
>
> Can I just say that today we've seen a disappearing MySQL DB and a
> trashed filesystem.  Even on SAGE lists I see a call every couple of
> weeks for help with recovery.
>
> There is no substitute for off-site backups for keeping away all sorts
> of ills.
>
> Rob

It's the same machine...

The most ironic, most painful aspect of all this is that I am writting a
backup program because I was unable to find a decent backup program out
there. The program is so close to working that it hurts but it isn't
quite ready yet. As Lance mentioned we inherited this server from a
client so we were just waiting to get the program up before adding it to
the backup server once it's ready.

As Murphy's law would have it, this all happens just before we implement
the backup.

GAH!!!

I have that sinking sick feeling... It was such a stupid damn move  on
my part, I knew better...

I want to crawl in a corner and cry for a few hours...

Anyway, enough belly aching; I have to get back to it. I found an
identical model number drive in the office so I am going to try dd'ing it.

Madison