using 'dd' from one source to multiple destinations

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 17:10:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I am looking to mirror mulptiple disks from a single source. I have thought
> about using 'dd' but I can't find anything telling yea or neh if this will
> work:
>
> 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdd'

What is wrong with this?

DISKS="sdb sdc sdd"
for I in $DISKS
do
 	dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev$I &
done

This is actually more typing than repeating the dd command manually.

One assumes the originating filesystem is not changing during the process.
If it is (which would be undesirable) better alternatives exist, such as:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc
dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdd

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.