FreeBSD

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 15:58:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:38:40PM -0500, Mike Newman wrote:
> Allow me to push this a little further:
> is Mac OS X kosher?
>
> I am thinking of buying an iBook. They're durable, they Just Work
> (TM), they look good, and they run Unix. Certainly nobody would be
> offened if I brought one to a meeting for my own use. I don't think
> anyone would mind if I wrote asking for help with a Bash or Python
> script that I'd written, or if I was confused by some facet of GCC, or
> was having trouble configuring Apache (Unix is Unix is Unix).
>
> I haven't been here for very long but I don't think there would be
> much difference if this was TGLUG (for GNU/Linux) or TGUG (just GNU)
> or TFUUG (free Unices?) or even TBUG (*BSD). I mean, Linux (the
> kernel) is awesome but you can't talk about it all day (LKML exists
> for a reason, right?)

Well I know a few people that have iBook's.  One of them got it, then
after a month or so he added Debian to it with a dual boot setup.  After
using that for a bit he decided Linux just wasn't as complete and
cleanly integrated as Mac OS X felt so he went back to using OS X
mainly.  That lasted another couple of months before the limitations of
Mac OS X became too much and he just had to get back to an OS that would
let him do everything he wanted.  I suspect the extra few months may
also have made the Linux support for the machine better.

Mac OS X is not bad, but it's not Linux either.

Lennart Sorensen