Debian - Apache help

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 21 02:37:34 UTC 2005

> If I want to see how Apache2 works etc., do I have to uninstall Apache or will
> apt-get look after all those details?

If you want to understand what you are doing, you should compile apache
yourself.

No, I do not know if apt-get will do the thing and I do not care to
know. Or rpm would do?

You can always however compile another version and configure it to
listen on another port than 80. You may have 64 thousands versions of
apache on your machine.

I consider all these tricks with apt-get and rpm as a step back in the
development of the system and in educating people. It makes also Linux
more similar to Windows. I see no big advantage of installing packages
over compiling from source code. In both cases people ask questions ;)
Questions asked about compiling are more productive.

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking