Debian - Apache help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 20 21:55:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 04:45:43PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> I have come across a perl cgi script that i would like to view. I believe that
> this means I must install Apache.
>
> It is something that I have intended to do but never have.  I have book from
> Wiley that I bought but reading the first page it is for Apache2.  I have
> installed Apache 1.33 from Debian mainly because there were a lot of perl
> modules.
>
> My book suggests first to see if it is installed  by running /usr/sbin/httpd
> -v.  Maybe this doesn'tapply to ver 1.32.  I have no httpd there.
>
> Should I install Apache2, do I need anything else from the repository?  There
> doesn't seem to be much,  unlike the older version.

Any web server that supports cgi should be able to be used.  apache does
have the option of using mod_perl which allows it to do some caching of
the perl scripts, although it also breaks some perl scripts that aren't
written very carefully/cleanly.

apachectl may be a better command to see if apache is installed.  Debian
doesn't call it httpd, they call the binary apache.  dpkg -l apache, to
see if it is installed.

You can install apache or apache2.  Depends what you want.  Apache2 has
some new features, and some features aren't there yet that apache 1.3
has.  Some people don't consider apache2 completely stable yet.

Lennart Sorensen