enabling DMA on hard drives

Dave Stubbs dave.stubbs-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 20 20:36:30 UTC 2005

Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>

>> Best to let the kernel do what it does best.  Heck - even Windows
>> seems to get THIS one right most of the time...
>

> Unless I explicitly issue a hdparm command to enable DMA on both my
> desktop and laptop, DVDs are unwatchable. There seem to be no side
> effects from doing this.

Likely your kernel does not have the CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO flag
enabled, or you have a computer whose IDE chipset is not supported in
the default kernel config.  I had to rebuild my kernel with extra IDE
chipsets selected for a Dell Server (Serverworks chipset) and also for a
clone I built with the DFI LanParty motherboard.  On both these systems
the IDE performance was abysmally slow at the start but when I enabled
support for the proper IDE chipset and flagged CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO
they sped up vastly, and there were no reliability problems.  hdparm was
no longer necessary because the kernel automatically enabled DMA during
bootup.

Dave...