Questions for English Majors

Byron L. Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 19 23:20:11 UTC 2005

> My understanding of it is that disc is british and disk is american.  I
> personally use disc for spiral track media (usually optical) and disk
> for circular track media (usually magnetic).

Interesting... I do kind of the same thing, except that I use 'disc' for
CD and DVD, and 'disk' for floppies, etc. In fact, I think the only
times I use 'disk' is specifically when referring to floppies.

'Disc', however, is the most correct if one follows the etymology of the
word from the latin root 'discus', which effectively translates to
'dish'. Though german does have the word 'diskette', so perhaps that's
one avenue as to how 'disk' made it into english (which did start off as
a german dialect).

Mind you, I am not an english major; I just play one on TV.