enabling DMA on hard drives

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 19 20:59:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> When asked to the kernel tends to do a good job, but you can build
> kernels that don't default to turning on DMA.

Thanks for the reality check ;-)

I thought all kernels are built without DMA tuning built in in case a
disk is changed and wnats a DMA mode lower than atoselected. If that
happens, there will be trouble. In all systems I have seen so far the
dma was turned on by a script run at boot time. If you are aware of
kernel tuning parameters that allow the kernel itself to turn on DMA
(why would one want that ?), please share them.

thanks,
Peter