Where's the time?

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 19 04:15:01 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 17:49, Matt Cahill wrote:
> On January 19, 2005 03:19 am, Merv Curley wrote:
> > My memory has deserted me and so have the notes I thought I kept.
> >
> > One new distro I installed, displays, the correct EST time on this kde
> > desktop. On another computer the same distro seems to display  EST as GMZ
> > + 10.  [ Debian based distro]
> >
> > /etc/timezone on both is America/Montreal.  The clock applet on the task
> > bar only has a check in the Timezone ;Toronto box.  My outgoing messages
> > are timestamped wrong and I've had one request to get it fixed,  or else.
> >
> > Must be something else involved and I just can't recall????
> >
> >  Merv
>
> Howdy, Merv.
>
>   Just out of curiosity, when you right-click the clock, and slide up to
> 'Show Timezone >' on the menu that appears, does it say
> 'America/Toronto' (checked)?  If so, try changing that to 'Local Timezone'
> and see if that makes a difference.  If that doesn't work, try 'America/New
> York' in the 'Configure Timezones' option - it's the same timezone.
>
> Matt

This computer sez America/Toronto  the troubled one said Local Timezone.  I
changed it to America/Toronto, logged out of X and back in, but the same time
is reported.  I'll try restarting the computer while I wait for you all but I
figured if the only base system file is /etc/timezone then it is a KDE
problem.

Oops,  some grey cells just got activated and I tried the 'date' command and
sure enough it is wrong.  So it isn't a KDE problem, unless kclock [?]
affects the system clock. I'm going to reboot and see if the bios time is
wrong.  Why not start at the beginning?

Merv

--
Merv Curley