this should be simple

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 20:52:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> > I remember back to my QNX days that there were term functions which could
> > detect this but for the life of me I can't find the Linux equivalent.
>
> You put stdin into raw mode and then you have access to all keypresses.

No, unfortunately, you have (immediate) access to all *characters* that
way.  This doesn't help for someone who wants to attach special
significance to combinations of keypresses that don't correspond to
distinct characters.  That requires removing another level of abstraction,
and the facilities for that are not well standardized, partly because in a
lot of pre-PC systems, that level was in hardware and couldn't be removed.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org