enabling DMA on hard drives

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 20:50:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:41:27PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> Unfortunately unless one is using high end SCSI drives the throughput
> will remain very low, limited by the c**p controller and r/w head
> throughput (normal ide/eide/ata/sata will not go beyond 10-12MBps and
> that is very fast by the average standards of off the shelf hdds in my
> experience). hdparm will tell you if you can gain from DMA. hdparm -Tt
> will determine the cache and the real disk r/w speeds. The latter is
> usually 10 times less then the cache r/w speed and is the real
> bottleneck. Enabling DMA should not (and does not as far as I could
> test) improve this. The initialisation code in the kernels puts the hdds
> into a 'best match' mode with the available capabilities. And if one
> does use SCSI then it's the SCSI controller's DMA that must be turned
> on.

The kernel MIGHT enable DMA by default, but then again it might be
configured not to.  Without DMA most systems I have seen give about 2 or
3MB/s transfer rate, while with DMA they give anywhere from 10 to 60MB/s
(as per hdparm -t measurements).  The hdparm -T measurement seems to be
a linux memory cache benchmark, which depends entirely on the cpu and
memory subsystem of the machine and has nothing to do with the actual
disk or controller.  DMA of course also significantly reduces the cpu
load required to operate the disk.

Lennart Sorensen