enabling DMA on hard drives

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 15:13:53 UTC 2005

  Hey folks,

    Thought I'd share a very succinct how-to that I saw posted on the
    Libranet forum yesterday.  Many people (of the non-tweak-monkey
    variety) may find that DMA isn't enabled when their Linux system
    accesses their hard drive(s).  The poster has listed the steps to
    enabling it (and thus increasing the Mb/sec of the drive).  If not
    enabled, the difference in performance could be substantial.

    Link:  http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5489

    I'm sure there are many here who have either enabled this manually
    themselves, or who may have systems that have recognized and
    pre-configured DMA.  However, for those of us who haven't
    considered checking, it's not a bad thing to try.

    Note that Libranet is a Debian distro; replace apt-get with
    whatever automagic package management you may have if using a
    different Linux.

    Matt

--

Matt Cahill
                      m dash cahill at rogers dot com

 “Where did this idea come from that everybody deserves free education?
 Free medical care? Free whatever? It comes from Moscow. From Russia.
 It comes straight out of the pit of hell.”
 - Texas state Rep. Debbie Riddle