defective L2 cache

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 14:53:50 UTC 2005

> Reluctant to try memtest86 again, I found a very helpful page about
> deducing memory problems, and finding out where they lie.  I think I
> narrowed it down to the L2 cache -- it's a 256-meg btw -- I disabled the
> L2 cache, and while the system was slow as hell, I didn't get any
> internal compiler errors, and everything was otherwise fine.

Well since the L2 cache is on the CPU, I'd buy another one while you can still
 get them. At the same time I'd also purchase a really good heatsink / fan combination.
The units that AMD ships with their boxed processors are inadequate to the task IMHO.Overheating
is probably why the L2 cache failed in the first place.

John