Computer books

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 04:42:36 UTC 2005

> I've got a copy of 'Mastering Netware 5' which I paid a hundred bucks
> for. Now I can use it for a boat anchor (its big and heavy enough)since
> it was out of date a year after I bought it. I have a lot of other hot
> computer books of equal value. I have a fireplace too...hmm

Well, yes, _Mastering Netware 5_ is the sort of book that will
necessarily be worthless shortly after it is issued.

> Why buy books when so much is available on the net? Most of what is
> turned into commercial software was once freely available
> somewhere. Do you think those developers are really that smart? Look
> at computer stores sections for books. They can't give the crap
> away. How about $600.00+ for certification "kits" which consist
> of...what else...a book that will be soon out of date...I like UofT
> bookstore. Have'nt been to WBBS for a few years.

Certifications, too, have a considerable degree of "design-in
obsolescence."

They are indeed "worthless rubbish" in comparison with
much-more-nearly-timeless works such as K&R, Harbison and Steele, The
Art of Computer Programming, the Dragon Book (by Aho, Sethi, and
Ullman), and such like.

I could use a copy of the Dragon book, and would be happy enough with
whatever edition was "current" ten years ago.
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/wp.html