Computer books

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 17 19:51:41 UTC 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 1:06 PM, James McIntosh wrote:

> There was very little traffic to that new location.

And even less promotion, service, or inventory once you got there.  I
lived and worked walking distance from both locations and it always
seemed like the only thing they had in common was the name.

> There were significant numbers of people who were homeless, or on
> welfare
> in the neighbourhood.
>
> Bill Gates, with 40 billion $US, was well-publicized, and some of the
> poor
> were reminded of the super-rich billionares of the I.T. industry
> whenever
> they saw computer books, and considered the bookstore to cater to
> billionaires of his ilk.
>
> Occasionally, someone would attack the store, smashing the large
> plate-glass windows, and possibly stealing something inside.

Having lived in the area for over 15 years, that surprises me.  They
don't seem to go after the computer stores, restaurants, and
street-level shops that litter the area.  (I'm basing that on the very
few caged windows on the North York section of Yonge St. compared to
other areas.)  Street people and panhandlers are still rare enough
between Sheppard and Finch to be a novelty.

If the store was really a target of "social unrest" in the heart of
Willowdale, it wouldn't have made it 5 minutes most other places in
what's currently Metro.  (Yes, I know there is one family services
place nearby, but it's hardly a neighborhood blight.)

I suspect a likelier explanation is that there just weren't that many
people in the area ready to pay $80 for one more instruction book on
how to use a pirated copy of Photoshop.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714