Suse Linux and GVC ADSL Modem

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 17 15:49:24 UTC 2005

You would also be well advised to grab one of those little Netgear or
Linksys boxes while you're at it. Removes the annoyance of configuring
PPPoE and gives you a layer of security that you don't have to really
think about. If you get a Linksys, which is Linux based, then you'll
have the option of downloading and installing an alternative ROM.

- --
Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A

Peter Hiscocks wrote:
| Anton -
|
| Yeah, I'm beginning to think that an ethernet-based modem is a better bet.
| They have much better support from Linux, and they're not that expensive.
| I'll see what the ISP says.
|
| Thanks for the suggestions.
|
| Peter
|
| On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:32:49PM -0500, Anton Markov wrote:
|
|>>different ISP, maybe.
|>
|>It's worth a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Even ISPs
|>who officially support Linux only support it with true Ethernet modems
|>(as far as I've seen).
|>
|>IMHO Ethernet DSL modems have several advantages. They have a true
|>ethernet card built in, which means they "just work" with most operating
|>systems (Windows, Linux, Mac/OSX). All you need to use them under Linux
|>are the drivers for your ethernet card (much more common than for USB
|>modems) and a dialer package for PPP over ethernet (PPPoE). Furthermore,
|>the ethernet modems use a dedicated processing chip, reducing the CPU
|>load. They also work better with third-party routers, WiFi stations,
|>etc., because few of those have a USB port.
|>
|>I guess what I am saying is that unless your your ISP has a technical
|>reason for using a USB modem (i.e. they use some non-standard protocol),
|>you should save yourself the trouble and buy an ethernet modem.
|>

|>>Peter

The Kernel