Computer books

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 16 00:29:28 UTC 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 10:45, Paul King wrote:

> need to be against deregulation or anything else. Just go outside your
> biases and see what is really there. Go visit chapter's. Can you find a K&R
> book? No. Can you find Stroustrup's C++ book? No. Books on Kylix? No. Can
> you find Windows For Dummies? Yes. .NET programming? Yes. TCP/IP? No,
> unless it's published by Cisco, or written by Richard Stevens. Anything
> that will sell quickly.

Generally I agree on Chapters, I rarely find books that raise any interest
beyond a 15 second glance at the index.  However, I was at WBB today and I
thought the selection was rather good.  There were a lot of books on TCP/IP
(I didn't look in detail), there was a book on Kylix (I remember because I
was surprised), I didn't look at the books on C/C++ much (they were lost in
the maze of C#).

> There are now no serious competitors left, unless you count PC Maniak. And
> don't count on finding too many "serious" books there, although I admit
> that there are many surprises there, and still worth the odd visit. BTW,
> their shop on College street is now out of business, leaving only their
> outlet near Matheson and Tomken in Mississauga. Going by  my last visit, I

PC Maniak's Mississauga location is pretty good if you want to stock up on old
O'reilly releases, there was a really good selection of nutshell books for
$2/each ... $14.95 for the nutshell books at WBB was a little obnoxious.