Dependancy Hell

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 21:04:23 UTC 2005

Mike Newman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:18:03 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>I have only used dist-upgrade for the last 6 years and it has always
>>worked great for me, so I never use upgrade.
>
> In fact, if you use the (IMO excellent) Synaptic it now does
> dist-upgrade by default (although I believe they call it "smart
> upgrading" or some such...)
> Definitely a good move, though.

Be careful about using dist-upgrade automatically though, especially
when tracking unstable. Over the past six months I can count three times
when incomplete uploads (only some packages from a tree of dependencies)
caused big problems for me (or would have with dist-upgrade). This is
most common with KDE and other inter-dependent systems (the kde 3.2.2 to
3.2.3 upgrade was a stormy ride), but the most recent one involves
libflac4 conflicting with libflac6. dist-upgrade wants to uninstall a
bunch of packages which depend on libflac4 in order to install libflac6
and one package which requires it. This is when you use plain 'upgrade'
to ignore that group of packages and wait out the storm.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***