Computer books

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 15:45:58 UTC 2005

Maybe you are being facetious (I can't quite tell), but I don't think you need
to be against deregulation or anything else. Just go outside your biases and
see what is really there. Go visit chapter's. Can you find a K&R book? No. Can
you find Stroustrup's C++ book? No. Books on Kylix? No. Can you find Windows
For Dummies? Yes. .NET programming? Yes. TCP/IP? No, unless it's published by
Cisco, or written by Richard Stevens. Anything that will sell quickly.

Canada Computer Books, (parent company of Toronto Computer Books and
Mississauga Computer Books) used to sell the "No" books in siginificant
quantity. They served an audience of serious programmers. They sold books that
you couldn't find at Chapter's. And I don't think it was the acquisition by
Indigo that dumbed down the selection, but the demise of Canada Computer Books,
which were never that big a business to begin with.

There are now no serious competitors left, unless you count PC Maniak. And
don't count on finding too many "serious" books there, although I admit that
there are many surprises there, and still worth the odd visit. BTW, their shop
on College street is now out of business, leaving only their outlet near
Matheson and Tomken in Mississauga. Going by  my last visit, I thought their
selection at College Street looked too much like Chapter's. And they were
selling junky electronics just before they went out of business.

Did anyone purchase one of their Pentium 4 Motherboards (original Perntium IV
socket) they were selling for $25.00 before they closed their doors?

Paul King

On 14 Jan 2005 at 22:37, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>
> >  Now most of the retail book industry is controlled by one company,
> > which has resulted in a much poorer book selection and in the process is also
> > hurting the Canadian book industry.
>
> You seem to be against PC and globalization. And deregularization or
> something like that. Etc... Not nice. Bigger brother will remember that.
>
> zb.

> This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
> http://www.nod32.com

Paul King            http://alimentarus.net
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are captains
of our fate and masters of our soul" -- Unknown