Suse Linux and GVC ADSL Modem

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 18:32:49 UTC 2005

Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> Michael -
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
>
> My next stop is going to be Pathcom, to see if they have any idea. It's
> their recommended modem, it should work with Linux. Or we should go with a
> different ISP, maybe.

It's worth a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Even ISPs
who officially support Linux only support it with true Ethernet modems
(as far as I've seen).

IMHO Ethernet DSL modems have several advantages. They have a true
ethernet card built in, which means they "just work" with most operating
systems (Windows, Linux, Mac/OSX). All you need to use them under Linux
are the drivers for your ethernet card (much more common than for USB
modems) and a dialer package for PPP over ethernet (PPPoE). Furthermore,
the ethernet modems use a dedicated processing chip, reducing the CPU
load. They also work better with third-party routers, WiFi stations,
etc., because few of those have a USB port.

I guess what I am saying is that unless your your ISP has a technical
reason for using a USB modem (i.e. they use some non-standard protocol),
you should save yourself the trouble and buy an ethernet modem.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***