Non-Resolving email addresses

SlackRat ab460-0l1pH2CMacvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 00:31:04 UTC 2005

Does anyone know how I could get FetchMail to kill messages where the email
address of the sender fails to resolve using the FastMail email service?

For years now I used Fastmail as an email service and had been very happy
with them. I used to run it IMAP from emacs/gnus but now use FetchMail to
grab whatever messages there are as it seems to be less trouble since I have
multiple accounts on fastmail.fm, warpmail.net and speedpost.net etc. all of
which are in actual fact just aliases for Fastmail.fm

But fastMail has now introduce a programme called Seive which they seem to
think is the best thing invented since Sliced Bread.

It is supposed to filter spam but in reality bounces legitimate innocuous
messages whilst passing through the most balatant spam.

Messages from the UK Government Old Age Pension department and similar
legitimate senders get bounced whilst the most obnoxious spam gets passed
through.

Occasionally, however, the spammer uses an address that does not resolve and
FetchMail gives me a "Fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender
address mary-OkUsnttiWsnz+pZb47iToQ at public.gmane.org fails to resolve"

Fetchmail leaves such messages on the fastmail server and to get rid of it I
have to browser into Fastmail and manually delete the offending items.

I use:
Linux 2.4.27. 2.4.28 and 2.6.9 depending upon which drive I boot my box to.
Slackware Current distro (updated twice daily with both swaret and rsync)
Fetchmail 6.2.5
Procmail 15.2
Sendmail 8.13.1
emacs 21.3
gnus 5.09

I run fetchmail as a monthly cronjob with:
/usr/bin/fetchmail -f /root/.fetchmailrc -F -K > /var/log/fastmail_poll

Another cronjob mails me the fastmail_poll log then zaps the file.

/root/.fetchmailrc [chopped] is:
..
..
poll "www.fastmail.fm" proto IMAP user "me" pass "mypasswd" is "me" here
poll "www.warpmail.net" proto IMAP user "meagain" pass "pwd" is "me" here
..
etc

Fastmail will not allow Freebie users like me to POP.

I have switched my email addresses to @yahoo.fr and forward from them to the
Toronto Freenet which then forwards mail directly to my box and is the only
ISP/IP allowed to access port 25 and this works great as I can telnet into
the TorFreeNet if I am going to take my system down for upgrades etc.and get
them to hold the mail instead of having to access several netmail accounts and
stop the forwarding.

I am eventually going to totally abandon Fastmail, but there are still a few
occasional legitimate mails coming in via fastmail so I do need to bring mail
in from that source.

Any help would be greatly appreiated. I have tried for ages to find the
answer.

--
Slackrat