Forcing password change on new users...

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 14 17:59:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, James Knott wrote:

> Henry Spencer wrote:

>>> I just got forced into a password change yesterday on AIX, and
>>> discovered that I wasn't permitted to have more than 2 characters of my
>>> password be the same as the old one.
>>> I'm not quite sure how someone would come up with a "minor" variation on
>>> that...
>>

>> Oh, any number of ways -- they just get creative at higher levels.  For
>> example, rotate through the names of the seven dwarfs (perturbed enough
>> to satisfy criteria about nonalphanumeric characters etc.).
>
> One way to generate unique passwords, is to run "ps aux|md5sum".  Now that
> the hard part is done, all you have to do, is remember the new password.  ;-)

Much easier and can be regenerated at will: echo "salt$(date)"|md5

where salt is a string that you remember (like your fav. cartoon
character's name). And there is no need to type the entire output of md5
as password. Say the 5-th character on, is good. Run date with certain
options to get the date right for when you set the password.

Peter