Inode table

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 13 16:21:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:55:46AM -0500, David Kreuter wrote:
> thanks - very informative. I'm interested as well in how the inode table
> is allocated in memory. For now I'll just consider it as an abstract table -

Well the inode table is on disk.  How the filesystem driver wants to
cache that info in ram is entirely up to it.  Linux also adds the vfs
layer on top of all filesystems to provide a consistent generic
interface for much of the caching routines and such.  Each filesystem
driver simply provides function call hooks for the vfs layer to use to
access that type of filesystem.

Lennart Sorensen