OT - Reverse Proxies with Apache

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 12 20:38:34 UTC 2005

I recently moved a server (FC1, Apache 2.0) out to a friends in
Brampton - onto a network where he has another top-level web server
(Windows, Apache 2.0).

Unfortunately, we both have a good deal of items on the 'net that are
linked to our sites....  and right now, most of his are broken (The
fellow was kind enough to even provide preference for my server)

I'm having a terrible time getting Apache to provide a reverse proxy.
 I'd like to get his sites and links back up the way they were before
my server was introduced if at all possible.

Here are the rules I'm using in my httpd.conf file, but they doesn't
seem to be working - everything seems to just fall back to my server:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_URI}  ^host1.* [NC]
RewriteRule   ^(.+) http://192.168.0.101:81/$1

  (some additional info)
  - host1.some.domain [192.168.0.102 internally] is my server
  - host2.another.domain [192.168.0.101 internally] is my friends server
  - Both servers are using dyndns for redirection and point to my
friends router.

Since we cannot both use port 80 yet, he's moved his server onto 81 so
that at least he can get to it.

Basically all requests are coming to my server, but I'd like to dump
any requests that do not contain my hostname in the address to his
server.

Any help would be most welcome.

--
- SGE