Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 12 03:39:29 UTC 2005

On 9 Jan 2005 at 12:48, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> What uncommented lines exist in the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers?  I expect you
> should have only a single entry like this:
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
>
> If you have more (or less) than that perhaps try changing the file temporarily
> to something like the above.

That's the only uncommented line in my xdm. Xdm, if used as the default display
manager, crashes on the first run, taking the X server down with it. gdm at
least runs a server, then gdm dies - leaving X up, then attempts to run another
one on the same console only to find that X server there, and then asks me if I
want to run the gdm on another console.

> > X as a command works and appers stable (you get the stippled blank desktop
> > with mouse). Using either startx or xinit crashes right away, falling back to
> > the command line. I checked those scripts, and there is more stuff than I'm
> > used to seeing in there.
>
> Are there any instances of X already running when you do that?  What errors do
> you get from running startx ... perhaps those errors will be in
> ~/.xsession-errors, or they could also be in /var/log/XFree86.[0-9].log

My experience with running multiple X servers has been, as I said, that gdm
crashes. There are few minor errors in any of the X server logs I've seen,
including those named /var/log/XFree86.[0-9].log, but nothing unusual (missing
fonts, unused screen resolutions, etc). Under /var/log/kdm.log, I believe I saw
the errors relating to kdm, another wm that dies, but like xdm, it stays dead,
and takes X down with it:

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.8-1-386 (joshk at trollwife) (gcc version 3.3.5
(Debian 1:3.3.5-2)) #1 Thu Nov 25 04:24:08 UTC 2004
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Jan 11 22:25:47 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols
found

And that's it. If I type X alone, I get a lot more logged on than this.

Much thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Paul

Paul King            http://alimentarus.net
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are captains
of our fate and masters of our soul" -- Unknown