Meeting on 11th of January

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 11 10:47:28 UTC 2005

At 11:16 PM 2005/01/10 -0800, Emil Janev <ejanev2-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>Colin,
>
>Thanks for the detailed direction. This was exactly what I was looking for.
>
>Thanks,
>Emil Janev

There are other ways to the location.

This is one that I found useful during the months that College Street was
blocked to vehicles between Yonge Street and Spadina Avenue. Since the
construction may still be blocking traffic such as buses, cars, and trucks
(except to pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists) I will be using this
route tonight.

It is:

1) From Don Mills Road and Sheppard Avenue East, enter the Don Mills
Station, get a transfer, and take the Sheppard Subway westbound all the way
to the Sheppard Yonge subway station,

2) then go down by stairs or escalator (or elevator, if handicapped or
lazy) to the Yonge Subway platform. The southbound trains are on the right
hand side as you reach the Yonge Subway platform. At this point, I walk
back towards the north end of the Yonge Subway platform, a couple dozen
steps south of the north end, until a train arrives. Be sure to be close to
the -=SOUTHBOUND=- trains, which are on the right hand as you reach the
Yonge Subway platform. When the train comes, you will not want to be
stranded with a crowd between you and the train.

3) Take a southbound train to Bloor Station. At Bloor Station, probably
slightly over half the people in the subway car will get off. There will be
people rushing off, and people rushing on. Try to get off before anyone has
the urge to push themselves onto the train through the remainder of those
rushing off the train.

4) At Bloor Station, switch to the Bloor Subway, by going down the
escalator/stairs. The easiest for a newcomer is the first set of
escalator/stairs, but I prefer the second set, located near the washrooms,
because they are likely to have the escalator set to DOWN. The first set
will have it set to UP, and you would have to struggle through more of a
crowd to walk down the stairs, because some of the people going up would be
impatiently climbing the stairs as you are going down them.

5) Be sure to choose the -=WESTBOUND=- train, on your right as you reach
the Bloor Subway platform, and go westbound to Spadina Station,

6) then switch to a southbound streetcar, and go south to College Street,

7) and walk east on College Street to St. George

8) Walk north on St. George to the Galbraith Building (a VERY short walk).

9) The Galbraith Building is on your right-hand side, so I advise that you
walk on the right-hand sidewalk, so that you can more easily see any
building signs which may be less visible in the evening. After you go in,
walk up the stairs on your right to reach the first floor, then up another
floor to the second floor. Room GB244 is on the right-hand side of a long
corridor, about halfway down the corridor. There are 2 (two) entrances to
the room, so you can choose which side of the room you prefer by the first
or second entrance. The second entrance is a dozen steps further along the
corridor.

>--- Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> "Emil Janev" <ejanev2-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> pn Monday, January 10, 2005 3:17 PM wrote:
>>

>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > As can declare myself as a newbie to Toronto. Can anyone point me to how
>> to get to the
>> > tomorrow's meeting?
>>
>> Assuming we are in the usual spot (and I have not heard a conformation of
>> this) we will be in room GB244 of the Galbraith Building, 35 St. George
>> Street at U of T.
>>
>> > I know that U of T is downtown ( I live at Don Mills/Sheppard ), and plan
>> to go by subway.
>>
>> Your best bet from Don Mills/Sheppard would be to go west to the
>> Sheppard/Yonge subway station, then take a south bound train to College
>> station. At College switch to a west bound streetcar (if your not on a
Metro