X Forwarding - Cygwin/X and putty

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 11 15:25:29 UTC 2005

I am trying to launch X applications on my windoze desktop at work, and
having some trouble.  I looked at the first couple of tutorials on
Google with the search terms "putty x forwarding", and they make it seem
pretty easy.  I'm doing something wrong however, because its not
working.

If I launch X in Cygwin and then fire up putty I get a terminal with no
$DISPLAY variable set.  If I launch X in Cygwin and then "ssh -Y -l user
hostname" I get a terminal with no $DISPLAY variable set and the error:

Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.

In /etc/ssh/ssh_config I have put in the lines to forward X and Agent
requests, but I'm still obviously missing something.  Any pointers?

Thanks.
--

yours,

William