AMD_64 Linux distro recommendations?

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 9 20:09:14 UTC 2005

On January 8, 2005 04:02 pm, DanG wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> Can people give me some recommendations on some good stable AMD_64 distros
> to use? I am just bought an Athlon 64 3500 and an MSI K8T Neo2-Fir
> mainboard so I would like to use an optimized distro that runs well and
> supports the mainboard/chipset and hardware well.

Mandrake is doing a good job at building, packaging && supporting 64bit arch.
The new urpmi (Mdk's apt-get) is smart enough to install 64 bit binaries
instead of 32 bit's when they exist. This implies a nice package management.

Mandrake is also part of the EDOS project, with many big players in research,
which goal is to redesign for depency management and other distribution and
generally OSS related challenges.