Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 9 17:48:13 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 January 2005 07:51, Paul King wrote:

> > If some gdm script is the culprit, try 'dpkg-reconfigure gdm',
>
> I get:
> invoke-rc.d: initscript gdm, action "reload" failed.

No worries on that, the post install script (/var/lib/dpkg/info/gdm.postinst)
is running the command "invoke-rc.d gdm reload || true" ... this fails since
you already have an X server running.  If you run the command yourself from a
prompt you'll get a better warning message.

What uncommented lines exist in the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers?  I expect you
should have only a single entry like this:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

If you have more (or less) than that perhaps try changing the file temporarily
to something like the above.

> X as a command works and appers stable (you get the stippled blank desktop
> with mouse). Using either startx or xinit crashes right away, falling back
> to the command line. I checked those scripts, and there is more stuff than
> I'm used to seeing in there.

Are there any instances of X already running when you do that?  What errors do
you get from running startx ... perhaps those errors will be in
~/.xsession-errors, or they could also be in /var/log/XFree86.[0-9].log