Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 9 15:46:02 UTC 2005

Paul King wrote:
>> if
>>that doesn't help, 'dpkg -P gdm; apt-get install gdm', which will
>>reinstall gdm and re-create all the configuration files / scripts. (You
>>may want to back up '/etc/gdm' first). I am not sure if there is a more
>>"proper" way to do this in Debian.
>

> Because this is the result of an upgrade of a package (which then asked if I
> wanted to install over 400 packages), I am wondering if something got upgraded
> that shouldn't. Either I now have to do a dist-upgrade, or somehow roll back my
> install to the last stable version.

This is a very likely possability. I would try to keep all the X
packages the same version (xserver-xfree86, xbase-clients, etc.). If you
don't want to do a full dist-upgrade, go into a tool like 'aptitude' or
maybe 'synaptic' and make sure that all the packaged you have installed
under the X11/main section are marked for upgrade.

I seem to recall having some problem with gdm a while back when I was
running a mixed testing/unstable system, although startx worked fine. Un
upgrade to unstable fixed it for me (although that's probably not what
you should do).

>>Using 'startx' directly works fine, right?
>

> X as a command works and appers stable (you get the stippled blank desktop with
> mouse). Using either startx or xinit crashes right away, falling back to the
> command line. I checked those scripts, and there is more stuff than I'm used to
> seeing in there.

Sounds like one of the XFree86 packages are messed up. For example, both
'startx' and 'xinit' are part of the 'xbase-clients' package. Perhaps
you should upgrade it to the sarge version if you had not done so already.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***