Multiple X Servers?!?!?!?

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 9 04:22:22 UTC 2005

Paul King wrote:
> Oops! I am not sure what made my attachment become a separate email.
>
> Apologies if all you saw was my X log output and nothing else. It was meant
> mainly for Robert (and anyone else) who might have been curious as to what is
> causing multiple X instances to be invoked on my machine.

The X server log is probably for only _one_ of the sessions (you should
see several logs like '/var/log/XFree86.#.log' where # is '0' and up).

 From your origional message I take it that you run gdm, but this should
work for kdm and xdm too:

Try switching to a console, logging in as root, and stoping then
starting the gdm server with '/etc/init.d/gdm restart'. If it is causing
multiple instances to start up, that script ('/etc/init.d/gdm') is
probably the culprit. You should try simply running 'gdm' as root and
see if it works normally.

If some gdm script is the culprit, try 'dpkg-reconfigure gdm', and if
that doesn't help, 'dpkg -P gdm; apt-get install gdm', which will
reinstall gdm and re-create all the configuration files / scripts. (You
may want to back up '/etc/gdm' first). I am not sure if there is a more
"proper" way to do this in Debian.

Using 'startx' directly works fine, right?

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***