MythTV, low-power, Look

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 8 04:28:00 UTC 2005

Hi TLUG,

I'm very interested in setting up some sort of low-power file server,
and given the physical layout of my network, this would likely be
located right next to my television.
I've been looking at solutions like the NSLU2 but for some reason
Canadian retailers are charging *double* the American price for that
unit (and it appears that even the active hacking community cannot
make the attached drives spin down!)
Can anyone recommend an affordable, low-power, Free-OS-based solution?
Also, if this solution would involve building a new machine, would it
be worth in setting up MythTV? I get my TV through Look so I imagine
that this would involve acquiring an infared blaster to control the
receiver. I'm not aware of anyone that has this working with *Look*,
though. Perhaps just TV-out? Anyone know where I could get a modded
X-box on the cheap for the X-box Media Centre? This would meet my
needs *perfectly*. :)

Happy Orthodox Christmas!

Mike

--