Fibre installation and fiber providers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 6 23:38:11 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:40:39AM -0500, Teddy Mills wrote:
>
>>I want to look at some fiber internet. (If we have to spent 5k on the
>>installation, thats fine.)
>>I would like to find a experienced and reputable fiber cable installer
>>to do the install.
>>It is 40 floors to the basement.
>>Could the installer run between 3 and 5 fiber cables?
>>(I would imagine the installation would be the expensive item, the cable
>>itself is not that expensive?)
>>If the fiber has to be put inside a steel tube, then that will drive the
>>installation price to 20k or more
>

> Does the building owner allow for that kind of installation (one would
> hope so but who knows with some places).
>

>>Once the fiber in the building is complete,  I would like to contact
>>some providers of fiber internet.
>>Again, know of any in the downtown Toronto area?
>

> I remember seeing a few years ago that Toronto Hydro offers fiber
> internet access.  Apparently they have a large fiber network around
> toronto for their own use they they also sell access to.
>
> A list of some companies that offer fiber would be on the page for 151
> Front Street:
> http://www.carrierhotels.com/properties/trizechahn/151front.shtml#Fiber
>
> A lot of them are either present there or at least connected to there.
>
> Hmm, what would happen to the internet access in Toronto if 151 Front
> Street was to get cut off...  Probably would loose a lot of it.

I used to plan the installation of communication equipment in that
building (my office was in the NE corner of the 5th floor) back in the
Unitel days.  There is redundancy available, but it's up to the
individual companies, as to whether they have redundant paths routes.
Incidentally, that building is referrered to as a "fibre hotel", where
many companies interconnect.