Fibre installation and fiber providers

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 6 18:51:50 UTC 2005

Fraser Campbell wrote:
| On Thursday 06 January 2005 08:44, Teddy Mills wrote:
|

|>DID YOU THINK IM GOING TO INSTALL A 45 FLOOR FIBER LINK MYSELF?
|>I DONT NEED TO TAKE YOUR OPINION OF MY TECHNICAL ABILITY, AND
|>IM QUITE SURE YOUR NOT THE ALPHA AND OMEGA OF FIBER.
|

| Yeah, we all thought you were going to sneak in under the darkness of
night,
| into some random building where you have no business being and then
climb the
| elevator shafts dragging a big spool of cable ;-)

I thought it was blatently obvious that I wasn't talking about actually
dragging the cable yourself. I was talking about co-ordinating the
build-out and install.

I am certainly not the "alpha and omega" of fiber but I have some
experience with it. I have been in what I assume is the same position as
you before: the company I'm working for needs a reliable, fast internet
connection, and I was the guy who had to make it happen.

My intent was not to comment on your technical abilities in general. I
assumed they were sufficient. I did however feel it was appropriate to
point out that when you're working with budgets in excess of $100k there
tend to be expectations. The fact that you're looking for information on
this subect in this forum indicates that you do not have the kind of
knowledge necessary to make this kind of project a success. Which in
turn raises the issue of liability (both corporate and personal).

Since you've raised the issue, I will note that the most competent
people I've worked with are also the most confident. They don't get
upset when someone tells them that they're over their head and need to
learn more or get professional help in an area outside their expertise.
On the other hand, insecure wanna-be alpha geeks tend to get upset by
the mere suggestion that there could be any area of technology in which
they are not expert.

|>WHY YOU THINK I AM ASKING FOR OUTSIDE PROVIDERS/PEOPLE??
|>FOR MY HEALTH? THREAD  CLOSED.
|

| I found the "talk to the landlord" comments especially amusing - I
assumed
| that you were the landlord, that you worked for the landlord or that the
| landlord had at least asked for advice in some form.

The way to close a thread in a public forum is to not respond. Which is
exactly what I'm planning to do after this message. It is clear that you
do not appreciate the advice of someone with industry experience. Good
luck with your install.

- --
Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A