IRDA and Palm

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 6 18:40:28 UTC 2005

Hi.

I had IR working with my old Palm IIIx a few years ago (under Red Hat)
to sync to my Thinkpad.

I don't remember the specifics, but here's a basic checklist of things to check.

1. Make sure the hardware is enabled (ie. go into the BIOS, enable IR).
2. Make sure the Linux kernel detects it on boot.  It'll likely show
up to Linux as a serial port.  Use "cat /proc/tty/driver/serial" to
see.
3. Install the irda tools (you'll have to figure out why it doesn't
install) and also the pilot-link utilities (command line tools for
sync).
4. Load the appropriate kernel modules for IR (ircomm-tty, ircomm,
these may have changed if you're using 2.6)
5. Run "irmanager" against the tty
6. Create a symlink "/dev/pilot" to "/dev/ttyX"
7. Try running "pilot-xfer -i", plug in the Treo, and hit the sync
button, and see what happens.

Again, sorry for the vagueness, it's been awhile since I did this, and
I'm not familiar with Debian, so I don't know what's included and
what's not.  There's also a pretty good IRDA-HOWTO which you can get
from www.tldp.org that helps.

Good luck!

pm

--