Bad Hard Drive

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 21:35:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> That reminds me, the firewall in question can only take up to 37GB hard
> drives, but nobody seems to carry them anymore. Is there anywhere I
> could get a replacement drive for the (abovementioned, soon to fail)
> drive? Or am I looking at getting an add-in PCI ATA controller that
> supports 40GB+ hard drives?

It used to be common for hard drives to have jumper options telling them
to lie about their capacity, precisely to handle such situations.  Meant
that you couldn't use the extra, but at least the drive would work.  Don't
know how common this is now -- haven't checked lately.  (Hmm, a Maxtor 40
that I bought about a year ago has a "cap limit" jumper, and a Seagate 80
bought a few days ago has a "limit to 32GB" jumper, so I think this
capability is still current.  Best buy a replacement soon, though.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org