lcd monitors and screensavers

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 17:21:02 UTC 2005

>> With LCD monitors you want to save the backlight if it is so equipped.
>> Showing a 3D maze or any other nonsense will not help!
>> Use the "blank screen" and this should turn off the backlighting system.
>
> Hmmm.  I read somewhere (I think in reference to my notebook) that the
> backlight has a life measured in on/off cycles in, which case, you might want
> to leave it on as long as the notebook is on.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

The life is measured in hours operating. Normally it should last in
excess of 5000 hours. Of course you get what you pay for. It is normal
for the color temperature and light output to change over this time. End
of life is usually when light output is 50% of new value (NOT when it
stops working). Normal fluorescent lights are rated 10,000 hours
nominally, under the same conditions. The ones in a laptop work harder.
ymmv.

Peter