Cable Splitter for Rogers

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 18:12:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:19:58 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:50:37AM -0500, Sidney wrote:
> > I have Rogers high speed, the fastest residential package they offer. I
> > would like to split the coax cable going into my cable modem and get a
> > cable going into my computer's tuner card as well. I tried doing it
> > using some cheaply cable I had lying around. It worked, but it was not
> > shielded and the TV signal was of poor quality. Where can I get the
> > heavy duty cable, splitter and connectors rogers seems to be using? I
> > need about four feet.
>
> Some tuner cards get a lot of interference simply from being crappy
> cards installed inside a noisy computer.  Some tuners have good
> shielding and bus isolation, others (like the original ati tuner) do
> not.  But a good cable could help a lot too especially being so close to
> the computer.  Not sure where to buy that though.  Maybe monster cable
> makes coax cables (for lots of money too of course but still).
>
> Lennart Sorensen

That is true... there are many reasons why a signal may be bad... low
quality cable/splitters, poor signal entering the house (some TV's,
like Sony's handle low signal very well, others, like Panasonics need
higher levels for their tuner to do a good job), electrical
interference around the tuner (possible inside a computer), to low
quality tuners.

But you are on the right track... the best you can do is use the best
quality for everything that is within your control. BTW, does the
signal llok good when you go directly into your tv tuner card? If so,
then you've narrowed it down to the splitter and jumper cable you are
using. If it mainly gives you a snowy picture, then it is signal loss
from the splitter or cable. If you get other video problems (lines,
waves, ghosting) it may be from electrical interference (ingress)...
again which should be remedied by better quality cable, connectors,
splitter. HTH.

As for Rogers cables and splitters, I know that they used to use high
quality components... unless they have changed that.