Fibre installation and fiber providers

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 16:35:52 UTC 2005

| Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:40:39 -0500
| From: Teddy Mills <teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org>
|
| I want to look at some fiber internet. (If we have to spent 5k on the
| installation, thats fine.)

I can't recommend any installers, but
- Fibre normally comes in multiple strands in a jacket i.e. you almost
  never run just a single pair
- It usually doesn't need to be run inside conduit
- As was mentioned, talk to your landlord first

| Once the fiber in the building is complete,  I would like to contact
| some providers of fiber internet.
| Again, know of any in the downtown Toronto area?

Hmmm - seems to me you're going about it in the wrong order.  Find
a bandwidth provider, and get them to deliver to a demarc in your
premises.  You'd hate to find that you installed, say, single mode
fibre, and the provider wants multi mode, or needs to support
different wavelengths, has a better/cheaper preferred installer
than you found, or even that your preferred provider can provide
reliable fast point to point wireless cheaper than fibre.

Find your provider first - let them worry about the details.

Cheers!

John