New Open Source Project

fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 4 16:51:21 UTC 2005

I facilitate a couple of open source projects on Sourceforge.

In both cases the "product" is itself a library,   so the licence I chose was
the LGPL.

This licence permits users of these libraries to incorporate them into
commercial products without having to release the commercial product code
linked with that library under any particular licence.       If these users
make modifications to the library code itself to enable a new feature then
they are obligated to relicence those changes under the same LGPL terms.
ie.  make the source code available.

In practice most users/developers who make changes to my libraries will
submit them back to the project maintainers even though the LGPL licence
doesn't force them to do so.    The reality is I have no real way to police
this as I wouldn't hear from any of the "cheaters".

In my experience the hardest thing about starting an open source project is
not deciding on the licence or even writing the seed code,  but rather
working to build a sustainable developer/user community around the project.

That is where the real work lies.

bob