custom kernel config

David Colebatch david-nuEF980otx7IfpyC97YFaV6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 4 12:38:21 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 20:42, Madison Kelly wrote:

>    I run Fedora Core 3 and my current kernel comes from an RPM. Is this
> possible? Is there some way to base a new downloaded kernel's initial
> config on the running kernel? Thanks!

If it's a 2.6 kernel with .config support, it's possible to extract
the .config from the running kernel.

---extract---

Kernel .config support (IKCONFIG)

This option enables the complete Linux kernel ".config" file
contents to be saved in the kernel. It provides documentation
of which kernel options are used in a running kernel or in an
on-disk kernel. This information can be extracted from the kernel
image file with the script scripts/extract-ikconfig and used as
input to rebuild the current kernel or to build another kernel.
It can also be extracted from a running kernel by reading
/proc/config.gz if enabled (below).